Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Melbourne Winter.... Detox Soup

I am settling nicely in the Melbourne winter. It is so beautiful. So beautiful that I don't even feel the cold. The flaming red leaves of an elegant japanese maple drape my bedroom window, framing a view of emerald green camellia leaves. In the background of this garden view are golden yellow leaves, turning and waving in the winter air, in anticipation of separation from their trees that line my street.

Having returned from a trip up north, from the land of the stockman, cattle, coal and cotton, where I met sun-lined foreheads softened with heart-felt smiles, I decide to spend today at home. How restorative, reconstituting and necessary. I take refuge in my warm wintery home, dark and comforting.

Having prepared it last night, today I continued to consume my special "detox" soup, starting at breakfast time. The expected effects occurred without too much discomfort or disruption. By mid afternoon, I could not help but marvel at my newfound glowing complexion, "de-puffed" eyes and sense of energy and lightness. Don't get me wrong! This is not a strict detox regime. I have had my cups of milky coffee, a delicious slice of fig and walnut cake for afternoon tea,  brown rice and lentils for dinner and a handful a dry cracker biscuits.  However, instead of the usual breakfast, lunch and desperate lunchroom cookie jar snacks, I have consumed a super-nourishing vegetable soup, with a hint of spices . My 'detox' soup has no salt but is flavour-enhanced with a plant based, chemical free, vegan organic bouillon powder. Now, as late evening becomes night, I feel sleepy yet ready for the days ahead. The main difference I feel after my soup is a sense of lightness, free of excess fluids and associated heaviness. It makes me wonder - How much fluid retention do I carry daily? It makes me marvel at the wonderful things, the simple and delicious things that nature provides for us.


MY DETOX SOUP RECIPE

Ingredients
(all vegetables chopped)
3 zucchini
4 carrots
1 white onion
1/3 white cabbage, finely shredded
1/4 lemon, peel and all
1 large bottle of unsalted, unflavoured tomato cooking sauce
1.5 litres of water , cold
ground cinnamon
ground nutmeg
1 cardamon seed
cumin powder
white pepper

Add all ingredients to a large pot and cook until the cabbage and onion are transparent. (Minimum 45 minutes)

When serving, add to each bowl, 1 teaspoon of MARIGOLD BRAND Swiss vegetable Bouillon powder (vegan) to taste and
Freshly ground black pepper

Keep refrigerated.
If not consumed after 3 days, discard.